Thursday 9 February 2012

7 Best Valentine's Day Looks

hotspot
I don't care what all of you "It's a Hallmark holiday" people have to say: I love Valentine's Day. I love that my boyfriend "surprises" me with a dozen red roses and a nice gift (he's a keeper -- I once received one of these worst Valentine's Day gifts ever.) I love that I get to indulge in chocolate guilt-free all day long. And I love dressing up.

Something like this is perfect if you've got a date lined up, and this dress will score you all kinds of compliments if you're going out with the girls. Planning to hit the couch and re-watch "The Bachelor" episodes you've got stashed on your DVR (and yes, that was me just a couple years ago)? This great lounge-around outfit will make you feel cute.

If you haven't decided how you're going to spend the 14th yet, that's okay. Here are some of my front runners:

Key to My Heart
"This look is a good choice for Valentine's Day because it's flirty, vintage, and there's even a little heart lock on my red purse! The mint skirt is from H&M, the scarf and sweater are my mom's (vintage), and the bag is from Forever 21. This works for a nice evening walk before heading out to eat with some friends." -- Michelle, Mod Fox
hotspot
Wear it yourself tip: If you don't want to be too literal on Valentine's Day, stay away from a full outfit of pink and red. Instead aim for just one classic V-day element, like the heart on Michelle's bag.

Velvet Inspiration
"This style is very romantic. The main reason is the sweater with cute little roses on it and the red (the color of love) skirt. The necklace gives it a little nostalgic mood. I was wearing this look when I had a romantic brunch with my boyfriend. As for the clothes, the beanie is from Volcom, skirt and sweater from American Apparel, shoes from Primark, and necklace from Accessorize." -- Anna, Teenage Dreams
hotspot
Wear it yourself tip: If you love this outfit but want to amp up the sex appeal, simply remove the beanie and stockings, and add a strappy heel.

Red Hot
"Red is the color of love. The sexy sweetheart cut of this dress makes this outfit a surefire hit on Valentine's Day, especially if you're part of a couple. The dress is from Windsor, the bag is from Zara, and the heels are Michael Antonio." -- Kryz Uy, Kryz Uy
hotspot
Wear it yourself tip: Don't skimp on accessories! Kryz turns a basic red dress into a very sexy outfit just by adding a few gold touches. Here she's wearing earrings, a bracelet, ring, and clutch. At the same time, it's important to know when to stop accessorizing. If Kryz added a necklace, it would border on overkill.

Shape of My Heart
"This dress is from Amourette by Amie Mai, and it's SO Valentine's Day. Sometimes, you don't want to wear your heart on your sleeve, so just wear it on your back instead." -- Jess, Jess Loves Fred
hotspot
Wear it yourself tip: Jess' dress is great for a day to night look. At work, she can cover the cutout with a great cardigan, but take it off to reveal the super sweet heart cutout at night.

Tough Love
"This look is very nice for Valentine's Day if you're the type of girl who enjoys a casual meal, going to the movies, or grabbing a cup of coffee. You have the red from the sweater, but also an edgy touch with the leather shorts (if you have a very cold winter, try leather pants). I got these leather shorts from Forever 21. And the necklace will attract everyone's attention up toward your face." -- Adriana, Fake Leather
hotspot
Wear it yourself tip: Not into leather? Why not swap leather pants for a black legging? You'll get the same tight, black look for a fraction of the price. And if you love the shine of the leather, many companies make pleather leggings as well as cotton.

Lounging Lover
"This year Valentine's Day will be spent at home, relaxing and pampering myself the whole day through. So for my outfit, I went for maximum comfort with a little Valentine's Day flair. The heart shirt was a DIY, the skirt I thrifted, and of course, no shoes for a Lebowski level of laziness." -- Samantha, My Latest Obsession
hotspot
Wear it yourself tip: If you want to make your own heart T-shirt, Sam has her entire DIY instructions here.

A Sea of Prints
You don't have to wear a heart to show your romantic side. This Valentine's Day outfit by Mayo from Mellow Mayoness is a mixture of textures, prints, and shapes -- perfect for a BFF brunch or a casual night out.
hotspot
Wear it yourself tip: Don't want to wear a bright red dress for V-day? Play with separates. Each piece doesn't have to be too matchy-matchy. Simply stick with items in the same color family, but with varying hues, to create a monochromatic look.

No comments:

Post a Comment